Saturday, November 1, 2008

Sweet and Spicy Pumpkin Seeds

It may be too late for this, but this is a recipe I created from a couple different ones.

Pumpkin Seeds (little over a cup)
2 Tbsp. salt
4 c. water
1 egg white
Sugar
Salt
Cayenne pepper.

Bring the water and pumpkin seeds to a boil, simmer for 10 minutes. Drain water off, dry with paper towel a little bit. Whisk 1 egg white in bowl until foamy. Toss seeds with egg white foam, then spread on parchment paper lined pan (largest). Sprinkle with sugar, salt and cayenne pepper. Bake for 20 minutes or until seeds are dry and starting to toast. After about 20 minutes I took the toastiest ones out and made sure to break up the clumps and evenly spread the rest out to dry. Since i had to leave the house for a bit, I turned off the oven and left the door open a crack with the pan still inside. They were a hit! Very tasty.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I had just seen a recipe for boiling the seeds first too on the simply recipes blog, I had never seen that before. I'm definitely trying that trick next time, as we LOVE pumpkin seeds but I can see how boiling them would reduce that "shredded" pulp that sometimes remains with select seeds. We use olive oil, seasoning salt, Johnny's garlic and a pinch of cayenne on ours though. MMMMMMM...... can't. get. enough!

What does the egg white do exactly?

Chris said...

good question... I think it's supposed to be a "healthy" way to stick the seasoning on... I found that after the hands had been dipping in to the bowl, that the seasoning actually "fell" off! I think I'll skip the egg white next time.

Unknown said...

oh that makes sense. Olive oil is very healthy though, it keeps the seasoning on. so you didn't leave your seeds to dry overnight or anything? did they sometimes leave fibrous wads after chewing them? I usually leave mine to dry on the cookie sheet over night (covered in paper towel, then toss with oil, season and roast. They are super except for the odd seeds that leave a fibrous residue. I'm wondering if the boiling alleviates that.

Chris said...

There wasn't as much fiber texture as I remember, so I think the answer is yes. :) They were thoroughly dry by the end, and I just left them in an open bowl until they all magically disappeared.